Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April 2014 Update

the studio a couple of weeks ago
Happy April! This month I'm leaving for Australia to be a fireworks-handler for the artist Cai Guo-Qiang, who's having a show in Queensland. I'm proud to be one of the few selected for the privilege of juggling M-80s for his new gunpowder drawing "Division of Labor."
Not really. Staying right here in Vermont and handling fireworks only as absolutely necessary. And I'm sure Cai Guo-Qiang does all his explosives himself; otherwise where's the fun. Here's what's really going on:
ART WALK OPEN STUDIO
Come visit at 6 Barre Street this Friday, April 4th between 4 and 8 pm. James Secor and I will be saying farewell to our studiomate Dustin Smith, who's opening a deli in Barre. The three of us will have work up all over the place for Open Studio. It's the perfect time to pick up some high-class original art at a low price! And if our low prices aren't low enough for you, how's FREE cheese and crackers and drinks? I'll see you there.
MAY SHOW
I'll be hanging some new abstract oil-on-canvas paintings in the Shoe Horn this May and June. For this show, I'm trying hard to make things that are attractive and well-crafted. Who knew that was so difficult!
LIFE DRAWING SESSION WEDNESDAY EVENINGS
Nothing like getting covered in charcoal dust, squinting through a thicket of easels at a nude model huddling with houseplants, hearing the muttered curses of your fellow artists at the end of a long day of work. And it only costs $10! Every Wednesday at the studio, 6-8 PM.
COMMISSIONS
I'm constantly asking myself, "What, out of the infinite possibilities, should I make?" Or in more practical moments "What will people pay me to make?" You can answer both questions for me. I have been known to finish things. And whatever I make for you will likely be unique.
STUDIOMATE/ CSA
With our studiomate Dustin leaving, the rent splits at 6 Barre Street are looking scary again. If you know a wonderful, friendly, stable person with a regular schedule and ~$200 a month that they'd love to spend on semi-public studio space, send them my way. Meantime, you can help out yourself by signing up for a Community Supported Art share-- see the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment